Saturday 27 April 2013

The Creeping Seawall

Or, Novel II: The Headscratcher

Turns out, feedback for The Life and Loves of Jet Tea has been extremely positive, so I've decided to write another one.  The Creeping Seawall is the title (for now) and I'll say a few things about it.  It is categorically NOT a sequel to Jet Tea, there is an oblique link between the two in the shape of a character who may well be related to one of my first novel's leads, but that's it.  I very much doubt that I've put these characters to bed just yet; there's more to tell there, but it won't be any time soon.
TCS is my first proper attempt at a ghost story.  I've written a few excerpts on this blog, just to develop my ability to creep out the reader, now I think I'm ready to shove my effort into the elite of timeless horror novels.  Research has been well and truly undertaken; I've gone on myriad 'Ghost Walks' all over the country, just to really identify what that chill when faced with the possibly bollocks unknown feels like.  I've read as many of the classics as I could get my hands on; MR James, Dickens, King, Poe, Susan Hill... Jeremy Dyson's recent The Haunted Book was rather handy too.
The novel is something of a stream of consciousness told by the main protagonist; he's a bit of a dick, he's definitely not in tune with the mundane and he says what he thinks on every occasion.  There's a bit of me in him, but he's definitely no Hayden.
The book can also probably considered Part II in my 'Places That are Special to me' Trilogy/Quadrilogy/Quintology/Saga.  It's set on the sleepy Kentish Coast, which is a region I've known all my life and where my mum and brother still live.  For the record, the North London/Highgate chapter of this series is already planned, so I'll have at least three novels to my name before my imagination dries up, although Christ knows how I'm going to tackle Berkshire...
There's not much else I want to reveal right now.  I'm rather proud of the uniqueness of the ghostly threat, I genuinely don't think it's been done before, and the socially-dubious, booze-orientated humour of Jet Tea remains to a degree.  I'll keep you posted.

Oh and in case I forget to remind you between now and the book's eventual release; Please read it at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment