Monday 8 April 2013

The "Witch" May be Dead but the Monsters Live on.

That was 1939.  I always assumed human morality had achieved a bit more nuance since then.  My mistake.

I awoke today with a hangover and the news that Maggie had passed away.  The sun was shining and my hangover didn't last long at all.  It really was a beautiful day.
But not for the Thatcher household.
My first instinct, being the useless social-media slave that I have no qualms about admitting to being, was to post a status about the news, as did everyone.  For the record, mine read 'Thatcher is dead.  RIP someone else' and you'd be forgiven to assume that I'd quickly hopped on the celebratory bandwagon for my choice of words.  But, despite everything, not least my hatred for class-minded, right-wing politicians, I'm not one to find glee at the passing of anyone, especially an elderly woman suffering from dementia.  My ill-advised, drunken rants about soldiers are proof enough of that.
I was understandably dismayed to learn that many of my friends are cheering and celebrating (and even directly quoting the aforementioned musical number) at this news.  Why is that, exactly?  A hatred of Thatcher is largely based on deliberate class-divide, aggressive military tactics and her strive for a return to Victorian values.  A fondness for any death is not extraneous to those ideals at all.  Thankfully I have friends who, like me, were bemusedly questioning this monstrous response.
Everyone has values, everybody loves to think they sit comfortably within a collective way of thinking, marginal or otherwise.  Few, however, are reflective and meticulous enough to question why they believe what they believe.  Why is this woman's death good news?  Has it undone the things she did to the country before you were born?  Has it made the current state of life in the UK any better?  Go away and think up answers to these questions, think of why on the Flying Spaghetti Monster's green Earth you'll be watching the televised footage of her weeping loved ones with a grin on your stupid, uneducated face.
I wrote 'RIP someone else' because lots of people have died today.  I wasn't alive for the majority of Maggie's reign, although much of her leadership caused ripples that bled into my lifetime.  She had a hand in banning and criminalising some of the films I love; I never received a glass of milk at school (nor did I lose much sleep over that ommission); and Northerners still hate me.  Am I sad that she's dead?  No.  Am I happy?  Of course not.  I'm not a monster.

My hangover has already passed.  What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment